This stuff is so great. It’s ready in less than 5 minutes and I truly believe it tastes better than the real thing in my recipes. The texture is so similar to real ricotta and it even behaves in a similar way when baked.
It has some similar additions to those in my best ever cashew cheese recipe, but in much smaller quantities to match the more subtle flavour of ricotta. You could replace the almonds with cashews for this recipe, however the resulting cheese would not resemble real ricotta as much. This is because cashews are softer and blend to a much silkier consistency. The almonds will maintain a little bit of texture while still having a nice creamy taste.
The addition of a little drop of lemon essential oil is totally optional, but gives it a gorgeous lemony hint. As per the notes, CPTG essential oils only. Learn more about them here if you haven’t yet dived into the wonderful world of essential oils!
How to Blanch Almonds:
If you can’t buy blanched almonds or you already have a whole heap of almonds with the skin-on, you can blanch and remove the skins yourself. Here are the steps:
- Bring a small pot of water to the boil, then chuck in your whole almonds with skin on.
- Turn the heat off and let the almonds sit in the hot water for 60 seconds.
- Drain the almonds and rinse them with cold water.
- Gently pinch the almonds into a bowl so they fall away from their skin. Ping one across the room at your partner or roomie just to make it a bit more fun.
That’s how easy it is! Not only is it strangely satisfying, but it’s also a lot cheaper than buying them already blanched.
Oh and PS: I’m sharing this with you as a precursor to some of the amazing recipes that I use it in, so stay tuned for those!
Ready in less than 5 minutes and better than the real thing!
- 1 cup blanched almonds *see note
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove fresh garlic
- 1 tsp gluten free miso paste (white miso if available)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast
- pinch fine salt
- 1 drop doTERRA lemon essential oil (optional) *see note
Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until very smooth, approx. 1-4 minutes depending on the power of your blender.
*See the introduction above for instructions to blanch almonds at home.
**If you choose to cook with essential oils, it is crucial that you only use CPTG oils. If you want to learn more about how to get your hands on dōTERRA's incredible range of CPTG essential oils to enhance your health, your home and your cooking - click here! It's advised to not ingest essential oils while pregnant or breastfeeding.